Sunday, July 11, 2010

Capitalize from CHAI

While I was waiting in queue for lunch to be served, I overheard a discussion that suddenly rung a bell- White collar Torontonian executives discussing about Chai. One of the quotes that I can recall "After a loooong day, I usually have a cup of chai (sometimes two) to relax myself". Here is another one "Why don't we have chai places in downtown like we have Starbucks and Timmy's?"

Chai-a traditional indian drink- has been consumed for centuries in the east but more recently in the west when CJay Corp. first introduced the tea varieties in North America in 1997. A freshly made chai is hot, creamy and fragrant with tea leaves, cardamom, ginger, sugar/honey and ofcourse milk. The popularity of chai has grown so much that some of the industry analysts predict that one type chai (my bet on masala tea) will eventually become so popular that it might even cafe latte. With such strong predictions about the beverage, it becomes a necessity-or should I say obligation- to serve chai at restaurants. A better idea would be to invest in small corners stands(like we have for hotdogs) to offer made-to-serve varieties of tea. And why not; the making time is less, the raw materials are cheap and readily available, the profit margins are impressive and above all, people LIKE it. Furthermore, the exclusivity will spread the name and add value to your restaurant's brand thereby giving you a direct competitive advantage over your competition.

Chai is here to stay- Capitalize from it!!

Gaurav Toor, Business Consultant
Toffa

No comments:

Post a Comment